The Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh has initiated a program to develop man power in the filed of Information and Communication Technology in Bangladesh. As a part of the program Bangladesh Agricultural University has implementing a post-graduate diploma course on ICT as per their designed curricula and syllabus. The programme continued for a three years period from July 2005 to June 2008. A six members committee, headed by Prof. Dr. R. I. Sarker has been formed to implement the project. It may be mentioned here that a very similar project has been completed in BUET, Dhaka University, Rajshahi University, Khulna University and Shajalal Science and & Technology University in the recent past with financial support of the Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology, Government of Bangladesh. After successful completion of the course in three batches in three years, the Bangladesh Agricultural University has decided to continue the PGD-in-ICT course using it own resources with some minor adjustment in its management programme. The honorable Vice-Chancellor of Bangladesh Agricultural University is the Chief Patron of this project.
The Guidelines from the Ministry
The Ministry of Science and Information and Communication Technology has provided a guideline, including a lined budget for implementing the program. The main points of the guideline are as follows.
- The duration of the course should be one year. Minimum 36 credits course (including practical) must be offered following the course curricula and syllabus, designed by the Ministry (Appendix-A).
- Each year thirty trainees, with a minimum qualification of two years graduation degree but no third division/class in his/her credit, could be selected through admission test. This course must be offered subsequently for a total period of three years for three separate batches. They may be selected from public sector institutions.
- The selected trainees must deposit Tk. 10,000.00 (ten thousand) as a security money of the course, refundable to successful candidates only at the end of the course.
- The trainers of the course, if needed, could be hired from other reputed institutions of the country.
Current Guidelines from Bangladesh Agricultural University
- The selected trainees pay course fee & no need refundable deposit. The course fee for year 2018 is Tk. 35,000.00 (Thirty five thousand taka) only which may be revised by the management committee of PGD-in-ICT program, Bangladesh Agricultural University.
- Each year fifty five trainees, with a minimum qualification of two years graduation degree but no third division/class in his/her credit, could be selected through admission test. The number of trainees may be revised by the management committee of PGD-in-ICT program, Bangladesh Agricultural University.